Coronavirus Update: Our team is here to help our clients and readers navigate these difficult times. Visit our Resources page now »

Skip to Main Content

Home Explore Careers

HIV/AIDS Counselors and Case Managers

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

Most states require some form of credentialing for HIV/AIDS counselors and case managers. Many choose to be certified by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC). To become certified by the NBCC, candidates must have completed a master's degree in counseling, have completed at least 3,000 hours of counseling work experience, and pass a national examination. Upon successful completion of these requirements, the candidate is designated as a national certified counselor. The National Association of Social Workers also offers certification in several areas. Additionally, all states require some form of licensing, registration, or certification for anyone working as a social worker. Requirements vary by state, so you will need to check with your state's licensing board for specific information.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.