Skip to Main Content

Home Explore Careers

Computer Trainers

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

As a trainer, you should be certified in the products (such as Microsoft C++, MFC, Visual Basic, and Access), developments (including Internet, HTML, and JavaScript), applications (MS Office, for example), environments (such as OS/2, Windows, client/server), and databases (including ADO, Access, ODBC, BD/2, and SQL) you want to instruct. Classes in each of the disciplines are available from the manufacturers, and you must pass an examination before receiving certification. Trainers who are employed by hardware and software developers might receive on-the-job instruction on the most current product releases. Certification is not mandatory (except for consultants), but will provide you with a competitive advantage. ITrain, the International Association of Information Technology Trainers, awards the professional technical trainer designation to association members who complete a seminar, submit a 30-minute video of one of their training presentations. Additionally, applicants must provide 10 student references and post-class evaluations. The Association for Talent Development offers the certified professional in learning and performance designation to applicants who have at least five years of training experience and pass a knowledge examination and a skills application examination.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Submit a Review and Get 7 FREE DAYS of Vault Gold

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.

Related Professions