Skip to Main Content

Cleaning Service Owners

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

Certification isn't required to run a cleaning service, but it can help you attract business. You should either belong to a regional professional association or seek certification with the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) or the Restoration Industry Association (RIA). Several different categories of certification are available from the IICRC, including carpet cleaning technician, commercial carpet maintenance technician, upholstery and fabric technician, master textile cleaner, master fire and smoke restorer, and master textile cleaner. The RIA offers the following disaster restoration-related certifications: certified mold professional, water-loss specialist, and certified restorer. Because of the special skills required for removing smoke and water from property, restoration certification involves a demanding program of training and testing. 

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.