Founded in Seattle in 1912, Perkins Coie LLP has grown to more than 1,000 lawyers in 19 offices across the United States and Asia. The firm represents great companies across a wide range of industries and stages of growth—from startups to FORTUNE 500 corporations.
Firm and Practice Accolades
#42 among the highest-grossing U.S. firms based on 2014 revenue (The American Lawyer 2015).
131 Perkins Coie attorneys have been recognized as leaders in their field, with 36 attorneys ranked Band 1; 40 practices recognized, with 20 ranked Band 1, including Political Law, Retail and Aviation Litigation (Chambers USA 2015).
245 attorneys have been listed as leaders in their field (Best Lawyers in America 2016).
17th largest law firm, by attorney head count, in the U.S. (Law360 2016).
“100 Best Companies to Work For” for 14 consecutive years (FORTUNE magazine 2003 – 2016).
Top 20 corporate law firm (NYSE Governance Services 2015).
Named among the most innovative North American law firms (Financial Times 2013 – 2014).
“Law Firm of the Year” in Technology 2014 – 2015, Environmental Law 2014 – 2015, Patent 2013 – 2014 and Land Use & Zoning Litigation 2014 (U.S. News – Best Lawyers).
Our Summer Program
Perkins Coie's summer associate program provides varied work opportunities and social events that are designed to promote interaction among summer associates, attorneys and staff. Our summer associate program is our primary source of new associate hires. We principally recruit second-year law students and occasionally hire pre-clerkship third-year law students for our domestic offices.
- Work assignments: Our summer program offers a range of assignments and learning experiences that provide challenging legal work assignments similar to those given to associates. All assignments are reviewed and feedback is provided at the conclusion of an assignment.
- Contact with Clients: We encourage our attorneys to invite summer associates to attend depositions, mediations, closings, client meetings, trials and other client-related activities.
- Pro Bono Work: Summer associates are encouraged to work on pro bono projects which can provide excellent opportunities for direct client contact and court experience.
- Trainings, Presentations and Firm Meetings: Summer associates are invited to attend continuing legal education sessions offered by the firm during the summer. We also offer a series of presentations that provide opportunities to learn more about the different practice areas available at the firm.
- Summer Associate Retreat: Each summer all Perkins Coie summer associates gather in Seattle for a day of presentations and meetings to learn more about the firm and one another. The group then travels to a retreat in the nearby Cascade mountains for another day of activities.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Perkins Coie embraces diversity and inclusion as part of our commitment to excellence and community. Diversity is integral to our collegial environment because it allows us to learn from one another, appreciate differences and similarities, and collaborate more effectively. We are not only committed to fostering diversity and inclusion within the firm; we are also committed to supporting efforts and partnering with other organizations to make the legal profession more diverse and inclusive.
Affinity groups are a key to the firm’s success in this area. The firm currently has nine affinity groups, including those for African American lawyers, Asian Pacific Islander lawyers, Latino/a lawyers and LGBT lawyers. These groups develop educational programming, assist with business and professional development opportunities, maintain relationships with national diverse bar associations and foster community among diverse attorneys within the firm.
Perkins Coie has received many awards for its deep commitment to diversity including:
- This year Vault ranked Perkins Coie #12 among the “Best Law Firms for Diversity” and #9 among the “Best Law Firms for LGBT Individuals.”
- In 2015 the firm was ranked #49 by Law360 among the "100 Best U.S. Law Firms for Minority Attorneys.”
- Since 2009, Perkins Coie has received a perfect score (100 percent) in the Corporate Equality Index and Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the educational arm of the nation’s largest advocacy group for GLBT Americans.
- Perkins Coie was ranked by FORTUNE magazine as the third most female-friendly among the 2015 Best Companies To Work For® in America.
- Perkins Coie was named to the Working Mother Media & Flex-Time Lawyers’ “Best Law Firms for Women” List in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Our Pro Bono Work
Perkins Coie has a strong tradition of pro bono and public service and recognizes its professional responsibility to share its expertise and resources with the community. We are committed to providing high-quality pro bono legal services to individuals and organizations in need of assistance and access to justice. Lawyers and staff are encouraged to engage in pro bono work and to choose and develop projects that match their personal beliefs, philosophies and interests. Perkins Coie is a signatory to the Pro Bono Institute's Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge and has a dedicated pro bono counsel to manage the firm's program. Our lawyers and staff are supported in their pro bono efforts by the full resources of the firm.
The depth and breadth of our pro bono program continues to grow and illustrates our dedication to pro bono work. In 2015, we represented low-income individuals on a wide variety of civil legal issues, including domestic violence, veterans' benefits, disability rights, estate planning and issues relating to homelessness and housing.
Many of our lawyers are regularly involved in constitutional and civil rights cases pending in various state and federal courts and have prepared amicus briefs before the Supreme Court of the United States. Perkins Coie attorneys also provide pro bono advice in legal clinics, participating in clinics providing assistance to low-income and homeless individuals and specialty clinics in the areas of immigration, domestic violence, business, consumer law and landlord/tenant law.
Our transactional attorneys represent hundreds of nonprofit entities and provide assistance in seeking tax-exempt status, and guidance with respect to formation and corporate governance issues, intellectual property, employment and real estate issues.
Perkins Coie attorneys handle a wide variety of indigent criminal defense, death penalty, clemency and innocence work each year. The impact our attorneys made includes the successful representation of criminal defendants, the representation of four men on death row in post-conviction matters, the eligibility screening of over 3,000 applicants for the Clemency Project 2014 and the vacating of convictions for two clients.