2020 Vault Rankings
- Pro Bono#7
At a Glance
“Amazing colleagues at the associate and partner level.”
“Early at bats.”
“Billable hours required for bonus.”
“It's the only law firm I would ever dream of working at, but it's still a law firm.”
About Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Orrick is a global firm of more than 1,100 attorneys that is fiercely committed to teamwork and innovation. The firm has dozens of offices across the globe, including domestic locations in California, New York, Oregon, and Texas.
It All Began with a Break-Up
In the late 1800s, W.S. Goodfellow and his partners John J. Jarboe and Ralph C. Harrison walked away from their San Francisco firm, Jarboe, Harrison & Goodfellow. Goodfellow then teamed up with Charles Eells to form Goodfellow & Eels. The firm helped organize the Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company after San Francisco’s catastrophic earthquake and fire in 1906 and also worked on water rights matters. In 1910, William H. Orrick joined the firm, and over the years, George Herrington and Eric Sutcliffe—who became managing partner in 1947—jumped aboard too. One of the firm’s earliest successes was its involvement in the financing of the Golden Gate Bridge—a matter that set the firm’s stage for big things to come.
Not to Brag, But . . .
Today, Orrick focuses on serving clients in three sectors: technology, including life sciences; energy & infrastructure; and finance. Its practice is evenly split between transactional and litigation work. Orrick’s tech companies group counsels 2,700+ startups (including companies like Pinterest, Stripe, and SoFi), guiding their clients through a successful IPO or acquisition. The team is on the cutting edge of areas like fintech, blockchain, AI, and autonomous vehicles.
The firm is particularly well known for its energy work, holding the No. 1 spot in Vault’s Clean Tech & Renewable Energy ranking and the No. 10 spot in its Energy, Oil, & Gas ranking. The firm represents the leading players in solar, wind, and other alternative energy sources globally. In the last several years, the firm has worked on more than 150 bids for new renewables projects.
Orrick also boasts one of the strongest IP teams in the country, representing many of the most successful global tech brands in headline-making cases. Among the areas the firm’s IP lawyers handle are copyright, inter partes review, IP counseling, patents, trade secrets, trademarks, and even the legal implications of 3D printing. The firm also offers one of the most active cyber, privacy, and data innovation practices.
In finance, the firm is a market leader in securitization and public finance and has strong teams in restructuring and real estate. Orrick also defends banks and funds in complex litigation.
Innovation is just another part of life at Orrick. Associates can spend up to 50 billable hours on innovation-related projects to help the firm and clients. Associates have engaged in innovation “sprints,” which incorporate principles of design thinking to challenge assumptions and brainstorm new solutions to approach an issue. Others have created tools to enhance efficiency of delivering legal services and apps to target client needs, among other projects. It’s unsurprising that the Financial Times has named the firm the Most Innovative Firm in North America multiple times.
News & Awards
Fortune named Orrick #15 on its “100 Best Companies to Work For” list. Orrick is the number one law firm on the list, and it’s the firm’s fourth year in a row on the list. The firm was featured in the March 2019 issue of Fortune for its focus on helping the team use mindfulness to manage stress and perform at their best. It includes weekly meditations in many of the firm’s offices, private meditation rooms, and mindfulness workshops.
This year, Orrick launched an office in Boston—one of the leading markets for tech and innovation and life sciences. The firm’s team of Boston founders includes some of the nation’s top practitioners in the areas of cyber, privacy, and data innovation (ranked Chambers Band 1), and intellectual property.
Orrick is the only firm Financial Times has ever selected as North America’s Most Innovative Law Firm three years in a row. Orrick was recognized for 10 different innovations, including novel advice for clients in the tech, energy & infrastructure and finance sectors. The firm was also called out for the ways it uses AI and other data technologies to help its teams deliver more insightful advice.
Orrick’s summer associates participated in full-day “hackathons” in New York and Silicon Valley. Facilitated by two of the leading authorities on legal innovation, the team learned how to apply design thinking to develop innovative solutions to complex legal and business problems. The event received coverage from The American Lawyer and Bloomberg Law.
- Orrick’s Energy & Infrastructure team helped Microsoft create a groundbreaking new structure for purchasing renewable energy.
- The firm’s Tech Companies Group and Capital Markets team advised Beyond Meat on its $240.6 million initial public offering, called “the best IPO of 2019” by Fortune.
- Orrick’s Supreme Court and Appellate team partnered with Oracle’s in-house legal department to convince the Federal Circuit to reinstate Oracle’s long-running lawsuit against Google for copying its prized Java technology.
- The firm’s Impact Finance team worked with Mercy Corps to develop a first-of-a-kind structure that enables low-income residents in Portland to invest in their gentrifying neighborhoods and participate in long-term financial savings.
- #3 for Venture Capital Globally (PitchBook, 1Q19 + 7 quarters)
- Appellate Hotlist (National Law Journal, 2018 + 7x)
- Band 1 for Renewables and Alternative Energy (Chambers USA, 2019)
- #3 for Pro Bono Impact in the U.S. (The American Lawyer, 2018)
- Top 10 Family Friendly Firm (Yale Law Women, 2019)
Why Work Here
Seven Stats about Orrick
1. We focus on serving the Technology & Innovation, Energy & Infrastructure and Finance sectors. Globally.
2. We give our associates the opportunity to chart your own course. It means early responsibility. World-class training. And the chance to make a social impact.
3. We were named the #1 most innovative law firm in North America in 2017 by Financial Times, for the second year in a row.
4. We’re on Fortune’s list of 100 Best Companies to Work For (#31), and we rank #4 for job satisfaction by AmLaw in 2018. In part, that’s because we don’t have a one-size-fits-all approach to how our lawyers work. Instead, we offer agile working. This includes flexible work arrangements, job sharing and remote working.
51 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019
Phone: (212) 506-5000
Chairman & CEO: Mitch Zuklie
Total No. Attorneys 2019:
1K - 1.5K
Associate level 1: $175,000
Associate level 2: $185,000
Associate level 3: $200,000
Managing Associate: $230,000–$270,000
Senior Associate: $295,000
Summer Associate: $3,365/week Other U.S. offices
Associate level 1: $190,000
Associate level 2: $200,000
Associate Level 3: $220,000
Managing Associate: $255,000–$305,000
Senior Associate: $325,000
Summer associate: $3,654/week
Summer Associate Offers:
47 out of 47 (2Ls) (2019)
No. of Summer Associates:
61 total (47 2Ls; 13 1Ls; 1 Career Associate) (2019)
Senior Recruiting Manager
See firm website for more information.
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Orange County, CA
San Francisco, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Antitrust & Competition
Banking & Finance
Complex Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Cyber, Privacy and Data Innovation
Energy & Infrastructure
Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity
Supreme Court and Appellate Litigation
White Collar and Investigations
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.