Coronavirus Update: Our team is here to help our clients and readers navigate these difficult times. Visit our Resources page now »

Skip to Main Content

At a Glance

Uppers

“High quality people and amazing family-like culture”

“Lots of responsibility—the ability to make impactful contributions and take ownership of work”

“Great compensation”

Downers

“Lack of support staff for ancillary tasks such as printing and binding”

“Lack of brand name”

“No 401(k) matching”

The Buzz

“Great retail coverage”

“Effective advisor in their chosen industries”

“Strong competitor”

About PJ SOLOMON

Founded in 1989 as one of the first independent investment banks, PJ SOLOMON today offers a global reach through its partnership with Natixis, the international corporate, investment, insurance, and financial services arm of Groupe BPCE, the second largest banking group in France and one of the 20 largest banks in the world measured by total assets. 

Natixis acquired a 51 percent stake in PJ SOLOMON in 2016. The remaining 49 percent stayed in PJ SOLOMON’s partners’ hands. The transaction has enabled PJ SOLOMON, with offices in New York and Houston, to provide its clients with global advisory services and proprietary access to financing capabilities throughout Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Americas.

Today, the firm’s upper management includes Peter J. Solomon, the firm’s founding chairman; Marc S. Cooper, CEO; Kenneth D. Baronoff, COO; 22 managing directors; and nine senior advisors.

PJ SOLOMON offers strategic and financial advice to owners, chief executives, senior management, and boards of directors of public and private companies. The firm’s verticals include consumer; energy; grocery and restaurants; industrial technology and software; infrastructure, power and renewables; media and entertainment; retail; and telecommunications.

PJ SOLOMON also provides expertise through its product capabilities in mergers and acquisitions, debt advisory and restructuring, financing advisory, and activism defense. Additionally, PJ SOLOMON has worked in partnership with Natixis to execute several cross-border transactions (most recently, the firm served as financial advisor to Banijay on its acquisition of Endemol Shine and Groupe Rocher on its acquisition of Arbonne International).

PJ SOLOMON has worked as a trusted advisor to clients on a number of sector-defining transactions. Its clients represent leaders in their industries and range from multinational, large-capitalization corporations to smaller, fast-growth companies. Its client list has included, among others, Finish Line, Chico’s FAS, TJX, Key Foods, London Stock Exchange, Under Armour, SoulCycle, SiriusXM, American Greetings, Total Outdoor, Five Below, Netflix, Staples, Ports America Group, Nasty Gal, Tractor Supply Company, AMI Entertainment, and IPIC. To date, the firm has successfully completed more than 500 M&A, restructuring, and financing assignments exceeding $175 billion in value.

PJ SOLOMON’s recent deal activity spans numerous sectors and practice areas. It recently advised Hudson’s Bay Company on its sale of Lord + Taylor; Len Riggio (founder and chairman of Barnes & Noble) on the sale of his 19 percent stake in the company to Elliott Management; B&G Foods on its acquisition of Clabber Girl; Moviehouse & Eatery on its sale to Cinepolis; Broadsign on its acquisition of Ayuda Media Systems; Oaktree Capital on the sale of its interest in West of Devers HVDC transmission line in California to Axium Infrastructure; Martin’s on its sale to SpartanNash; Best Market on its sale to Lidl US; Hibbett Sports on its acquisition of City Gear; and Third Coast Midstream on the sale of its Eagle Ford gas gathering infrastructure assets to Starwood Energy.

PJ SOLOMON

1345 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10105
Phone: (212) 508-1600

Firm Stats

Employer Type: Private
Founder & Chairman: Peter J. Solomon
Chief Executive Officer: Marc S. Cooper
2019 Employees (All Locations): 110

Major Office Locations

New York, NY